Research and Creative Opportunities
Morris provides numerous opportunities for students to expand their body of knowledge in a field by participating in scholarly research or creative activity. Morris students make contributions on campus, within the larger university, and beyond our borders. Faculty and student advisers are available to discuss research and creative opportunities with students.
What Is Research?
Research is primarily conducted to enhance knowledge and understanding in a variety of fields. Students systematically investigate a subject of interest, interpret data, and share findings. Research can be conducted through experimentation or observation and results in a product of the researcher's understanding. Research can be done in a variety of fields—from science and math to social science and the humanities.
What Is Creative Activity?
A creative activity is a scholarly method for investigating human expression—often the research method of choice for students in the arts, music, and dance. Creative activities that communicate to a wide audience and stimulate the mind and emotions are of particular interest to the University.
Decide to conduct research or engage in a creative activity. Talk to professors, advisers, and the ACE director about your research goals and available opportunities. Make a plan.
Learn More about Research Opportunities
- Getting Started in your Research »
- Don’t know where to start? Review an overview of beginning your research or creative activity and resources to help you get started
- Steps to Take by Year »
- Learn about opportunities that are available at various times in your undergraduate career.
- Funding and Summer Programs »
- Want to get paid for your research or creative activity or participate in research over the summer?
- Presenting your Research and Creative Activity »
- Project = complete. Now where to present?
- STEM Related Research and Creative Opportunities
Fund Your Conference Travel
How to pay for travel to present your research? These funding sources can help!
Take a look at what other Morris students have done.
The National Conference of Undergraduate Research (NCUR) is one of the most prestigious national conferences at which students can present the results of their research and creative activity to their peers. Numerous Morris students have attended and presented over the years.