Latvia - Media Literacy and Democracy: Baltic Perspectives
June 15-July 3, 2018, CMR 2323, 4 cr (IP), led by Barbara Burke, Associate Professor of Communication, Media, and Rhetoric
During this 18-day, 4 credit course, students will study with UMM Professor Barbara Burke, host faculty and media professionals from Europe at the Vidzeme University of Applied Sciences.
Imagine the sunset by the Baltic Sea and visiting Seda town to view the Stalinist architecture! While a student at a Latvian University you will explore the international perspective of scholars and media users from throughout Europe.
Key topics covered in the course:
- The media’s role in the creation, maintenance and/or subversion of social memory
- Historic and contemporary uses of propaganda and counter-propaganda
- Journalism in the post-information age
- Building persuasive media content: technical tricks
- The Sigulda Medieval Castle
- Turaida’s Castle
- Gutmanis cave
- Participation in the traditional celebration of the summer solstice