For Prospective Scholars
Who can apply for the McNair program?
McNair Scholars must be:
- Low-income (as defined by the Department of Education Federal TRiO Programs)
- First-generation (neither parent has a bachelor's degree)
- Underrepresented in graduate education
- Be a US citizen or permanent resident
- Have earned 30 credits
- Be enrolled full-time in a degree program at Morris
While some preference is given for students working in STEM fields, all majors are welcome to apply. The key criterion for a McNair Scholar is a desire to excel academically as an undergraduate, gain admission into graduate school, and persist to the PhD/EdD. McNair does not support professional graduate pathways like, law, medical, or veterinary medicine, with the exception that they are combined with the PhD.
How do I apply?
Complete this straightforward online application.
The deadline for all application materials is October 8, 2021.
Our recruitment focus for Fall semester is 2nd and 3rd year candidates wanting research experience.
Submit the following offline requirements
- A 600-900 word personal statement that details your interest in academic success, desire to be involved in scholarly research, and
- motivation to obtain the PhD/EdD
- A letter of recommendation from someone who knows you well, preferably a Morris faculty member (The faculty member will be provided
- instructions on how to submit the letter once you apply to the program.)
- A signed and dated eligibility form
- A UMM unofficial Transcript
- A signed copy of your federal income tax form OR a tax receipt that shows taxable income
- McNair Application Checklist
The top candidates will then be invited for a short interview with McNair personnel. The Fall 2021 application is now open. The deadline is October 8th 2021.