For Prospective Scholars
Who can apply for the McNair program?
McNair Scholars must be:
- Low-income (as defined by the Department of Education Federal TRiO Programs)
- First-generation (neither parent has a bachelor's degree)
- Underrepresented in graduate education
- Be a US citizen or permanent resident
- Have earned 30 credits
- Be enrolled full-time in a degree program at Morris
While some preference is given for students working in STEM fields, all majors are welcome to apply. The key criterion for a McNair Scholar is a desire to excel academically as an undergraduate, gain admission into graduate school, and persist to the PhD/EdD. McNair does not support professional graduate pathways like, law, medical, or veterinary medicine, with the exception that they are combined with the PhD.
How do I apply?
Complete this straightforward online application.
The deadline for all application materials is February 19th, 2021.
Our recruitment focus for Spring semester is 1st and 2nd-year candidates or 2023 graduates and beyond.
Submit the following offline requirements:
- A 600-900 word personal statement that details your interest in academic success, desire to be involved in scholarly research, and
- motivation to obtain the PhD/EdD
- A letter of recommendation from someone who knows you well, preferably a Morris faculty member (The faculty member will be provided
- instructions on how to submit the letter once you apply to the program.)
- A signed and dated eligibility form
- A UMM unofficial Transcript
- A signed copy of your federal income tax form OR a tax receipt that shows taxable income
- McNair Application Checklist
The top candidates will then be invited for a short interview with McNair personnel. The Spring 2021 application is now open. The deadline is February 19th, 2021.